Friday, April 27, 2007

BLOGGING AGAINST DISABLISM

As it says above I am less able person.

Normally I do not acknowledge the label "Disabled". However, as I have hit my mid fifties I have also hit what I perceive as a glass ceiling when it comes to both treatment and care from "the system".

I have found it impossible to access any physio, from our National Health Service, and eventually found private treatment.

After a great deal of angst and means testing I have finally been allocated extra hours of care.

I am a fairly intelligent articulate person, and this has been an uphill struggle.

My question is, how do less capable people access the system? Who speaks for those who are unable to speak for themselves?

4 comments:

Philip. said...

'My question is, how do less capable people access the system? Who speaks for those who are unable to speak for themselves?'

It's a frightening though to think of all the people who can't stand up for their rights! There should be far more advocacy available!


Take care,

Philip :-)

Mary said...

I have a pet theory that if a disabled person were to be able to claim every benefit they are entitled to, live independently, access the education system, get their reasonable adjustments for work sorted out, and negotiate their healthcare... the authorities would take it as proof that they weren't all that disabled after all.

I personally can't hold down a full-time job, but there are times when negotiating the various systems and struggling without the help I need seems like a full-time job in itself.

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Well, Jenny, my thoughts and humanist prayers are with you, all the way.

this country is a disgrace and the NHS is a disgrace as well.

Take care.

Jean

Marvin -The Hollow Hound said...

Thank you, Jenny, for your kind wishes for Keith.

All is well now and he is home.

I am playing Nurse Jean, think he quite likes the uniform!!

Take care, and why don't you text me?

looking forward to hearing from you,
take care, Jean aka Kaiser Chef xx
ps did you hear Chris Evans play the whole 9 mins of Meatloaf tonight on Drive Time. Bat out of Hell! Wow!